This is where it starts. The beginning of the shift, the change in life as we would know it for 2020. Writing this blog post at the end of 2020 (that far behind these updates!), it is crazy to look at the pictures of this month, and to know how we started the month - and to look at how it ended.
At the start, we were still in school, Ryan was still going to Haworth to work, restaurants, gyms, stores, movie theaters... all were still open.
I got to go read to Camryn's class as a part of "March is Reading Month" celebration.
Reading with these little ladies!
COVID-19.
Coronavirus.
News started to trickle in about confirmed cases in the US, spreading to multiple states, and then cases in Michigan. There were deaths. We were told that the elderly populations, people who were immunosuppressed, and people with heart and lung conditions were at risk of this virus putting them in the hospital, or worse, never being able to recover from it. I distinctly remember when I started hearing about colleges in Michigan choosing to shut down - deciding to go to virtual learning and send students home for the duration of the school year to try to stop the spread of the virus.
I was talking to my principal, Jeff Roon, on a Tuesday when he told me that Michigan State had made the decision to close down. And then we started to wonder - what would happen with our K-12 public schools.
I woke up on Friday morning, March 13, and saw that Govenor Whitmer had made the decision to shut down K-12 schools until after spring break. I couldn't believe it. And my mind started spinning with all the things that I needed to do that day to send my students home for the next three weeks - hopefully with some learning materials - so they would have things to work on at home.
I arrived at school and we immediately had a staff meeting to go over what would be happening that day, and how the paras were going to be delegated to help us prepare things for the students. I can remember the feeling in the room. Stress, sadness, uncertainty. We were told to try to have the students stay distanced the best we could, wash hands frequently, and above all else, assure the students about the change happening, and help them feel calm and cared for, despite this unprecedented shut down.
We read a lot of stories, gathered things they could take home with them, took some pictures as a group, and during my planning times, we were frantically copying off packets and papers to last for 3 weeks of school work that could be done at home. We were thinking we would be back in school after spring break, that we would come back together as a group, so we didn't send everything home.
This was the picture I took before leaving on that Friday. Cleared out classroom in the middle of March. Felt so strange.
It felt like a really really long day. I asked Taylor if she wanted to take a walk with me that evening. This would be the first of many walks we would take - for a few weeks we walked together every day!
Everything was limited and closed down. I did still go to the gym, I used my key and worked out by myself in the early morning hours. But everything was different. It was the strangest time, a really sad feeling, and we moved into a period of social distancing from others.
This was a frequent site - shelves that were just... empty.
So we walked together, a lot. And we saw LOTS of neighbors out walking, too!
Tay and I made a special trip to the trails behind our church for one of our walks.
This was our 10th straight day walking together. :)
We went to the Outdoor Discovery Center for something to do.
Played in and around our own house... not going anywhere else other than the grocery store if we needed to.
We did get some snow during this time, too!
The girls got creative... Camryn and Ry worked to take some of his older Shutterfly calendars, cut out the pictures, and put them together in a collage.
We did puzzles, too!
Lots of just being..... home.
Art Hub drawing happened almost daily.
We did a lot of organizing.
Grocery stores were strange - some items were really hard to find - people were buying up all the paper products, especially toilet paper. Milk, butter and bread were sometimes really low.






































No comments:
Post a Comment