Around this time of year, I can't help but think about what we were doing and thinking about 2 years ago, as we were only about 2 weeks away from Taylor's due date. We were still eating dinner on the couch together, feet up on the coffee table, usually watching the news or catching up on old seasons of the Office or Mad Men. Our mornings were pretty relaxed as we went through our own routines. Evenings and weekends were open to whatever, without much planning ahead needed. Once February hit, each day we did the same routine, but I also had this feeling of anticipation/excitement because any day we could go into labor! I left school each day wondering if I would be back the next day, and tried to leave things in order as much as possible.
Two years later, we eat dinner as a family at the table every night. We each have our responsibilities in the morning (Ryan gets Taylor up and changes her diaper/gets her dressed, while I pack her bags for daycare and get her breakfast ready) to help us all get out the door on time. Life is planned around Taylor's sleep schedule, and we have to think through outings a little more carefully with a toddler in tow.
We have realized how much responsibility you take on in every day life with a little one around, but we also acknowledge how much more fun Taylor has brought to our life, too. You get to revert back to being a kid more often! :o)
Last weekend we got almost a foot of snow in a mere few hours Sunday morning. Although we still had the adult responsibilities of shoveling and clearing the driveway and sidewalk, we also got to go out and play a bit, too! Snow = sledding again!
Taking a walk through the deep snow...Taylor saying, "Go, mama!" She has a habit of also saying "weeeee!!" as we walk along, which cracks me up :)
Reading stories before bed is also one of those fun parts of being a parent - I LOVE reading books, especially ones like "Goodnight Moon" that we used to read when I was a little kid.
Last, I just have to include this picture from last weekend. We went out to eat on a Friday evening. (Taylor does really well in restaurants, especially if we have a booth so she doesn't have to sit in a high chair) She just LOVED the soup I got with my meal.
Eating at the table like a big girl (love those blue eyes :))
So two years ago, life may have been different, but I would not change what we have now for anything. And although baby #2 will change life drastically again, I anticipate that there will be extra FUN involved with having TWO, and can't wait to experience what that will be like!
Two kids doubles the workload, but also doubles the snuggles, kisses, bedtime stories, and FUN! You'll be awesome as a momma of two!
ReplyDelete