Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Poor little lady... (yet we are so lucky)
Today, Taylor had her first "poke" as the nurses called it. Taylor cried. I cried.
To give you a little background, I have never been a fan of needles, (but who has, right??). I am the person whose hands get all clammy, I have to close my eyes, and move as far away from the needle as I can get. I actually cried the first time I donated blood when I was in high schol - the tears just started flowing about 2 minutes into the process. The poor Red Cross worker didn't know what to think. :-) It has gotten better, but it is still not my favorite thing.
But I would face a needle - any day, anytime - if that meant that Taylor didn't have to go through it.
We had a doctor's appointment today to see if Taylor had (as I feared) a third ear infection. We JUST finished our last round of antibiotics when Taylor became miserable with another fever, so it was back to the doctor again! Sure enough, her the inside of her little ear was very red (I got to see it for myself!), and we discussed the next step. Part of what I LOVE about Taylor's doctor is that he will take the time to talk and answer questions, regardless of how busy his schedule is. We did some outside of the box thinking about Taylor's ears, and based on some other symptoms, we decided to do a food allergy test. That's where the "poke" came in. We left the appointment, and headed over to the hospital. From the moment her sleeve was pulled up and the tourniquet was put on, Taylor was beside herself - she has never screamed so hard. Poor little lady.
But not five minutes after it was done, she was snuggling and cooing in my arms (her hold may have been a little tighter, but I didn't mind. :o)).
And I couldn't help but think about how LUCKY we are that Taylor has been so healthy, and I was thinking about all of those other mommies and daddies that have to watch their child go through SO much more. A little blood draw would be nothing.
Nobody prepares you for the worries of being a mommy!
But here she is, happy and playful (and a little tired, if you can't tell by her eyes), and she probably doesn't even remember what happened. My goodness, do I love this little girl.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
poor bubby
ReplyDelete