I knew that we would be having a long weekend in Battle Creek the first weekend of August, and knew there were two possible triathlons that were always around the beginning of August, and so four days before the race, I signed up for the "Shermanator" triathlon in Augusta. The race was only 20 minutes from my mom's house, and it didn't give me much time to have to mentally think about it either. ;)
Ryan went with me while the girls slept in at Mem's house. We left at 5:45am...I've always been picky about my spot in the transition area, so I like to get there early. :)
Getting set up
Before the swim
Right before the swim start...I'm in the back there somewhere :)
Transition to the bike out of the water
On the run I just tried to tell myself that it was three one-mile runs. The course was the shape of a "T", so there were two chances to see people in front and behind me, and after the first turn around I hadn't seen very many females go past, so I thought I was doing okay!
Coming back in to the finish line - so thankful the road back had a good chunk of downhill right at the end!
After I crossed, I saw Ryan and told him my first priority was going to the bathroom - trying to stay hydrated has its downfalls! ;) But two seconds later two guys came up to us from the Battle Creek Enquirer - the local newspaper, and they told me that they had confirmed with a couple of people that I had won and was the first female finisher overall.
Just slightly excited. And suprised!!
Here is a breakdown of how the race went.
The swim felt good and steady, I have been stronger on the bike, and it was just lack of training that kept me under a 20mph pace, and on the run I had no idea how fast I was going - only knew that I felt like I was being chased by these really super fit women behind me that seemed like they were getting closer - so I ran as fast as I could maintain!
Award time :)
And me and my big supporter for the morning! I was so glad he could be there with me! :)
And the newspaper the next morning....the front of the sports section. :)









SO impressive! Great job Kelly!
ReplyDeleteCongrats Kell! What an accomplishment!!! :)
ReplyDelete